We would like to grow our membership and are inviting interested individuals and families to please get in touch.
We would love to hear from you if you would like to receive updates on our progress, attend our social meet-ups (particularly once we are able to meet face-to-face again) or even join the Development Group to help move the project forward – the more hands on deck the better. we are particularly interested if anyone is able to offer development finance or legal expertise that might be relevant to housing, but all skills can find a home at our meetings! You will certainly have something important to offer.
What we are seeking to create…
The details of the site we choose to build on are likely to dictate some of the form of what we build. However based on a survey of our members and plenty of discussion, some of the principles our development will be built upon are:
- A common house and circa 20 passivhaus self-contained units; a mix of sizes and configurations between 1 to 4 bedroom properties with small private gardens or balconies.
- Communal kitchen, large dining space, workspaces, multi-purpose rooms and guest bedrooms will be included in the common house.
- Sustainability aspects such as car-pooling and limited parking at the site boundary, adequate personal bike storage, shared electric cargo bikes and food growing allotments
- A site designed to encourage social interaction using almost entirely pedestrian design, with permaculture design principles being employed in the green spaces
- Wider community benefits will be realised in the form of outreach and education, interest groups and community allotment.
The exact mix of facilities will be established through group workshops and may have to be scaled depending on the site chosen for development.